Monday, January 30, 2012
Expressionism
So looking around I found the "real" definition to expressionism. "Expressionism- a manner of painting, drawing,sculpting, etc., in which forms derived from nature are distorted or exaggerated and colors are intensified foremotive or expressive purposes." This definition is taken from Dictionary.com which, for the most part, tends to be pretty reliable. I think that this is much too vague an answer. I think that Expressionism is a form of art that creates a beautiful connection with life (not even just living but things that are alive ex. animal, plants, organic shapes, etc) and death or oblivion. Things tend be on the heavier or more depression side of the emotional spectrum but the products of this movement have been some of the most highly regarded pieces of art of all time. Fritz Lang's Metropolis, Murnau's Nosferatu, and many many more have all come from expressionism.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"a beautiful connection with life (not even just living but things that are alive ex. animal, plants, organic shapes, etc) and death or oblivion"
ReplyDeleteYou're one of very few who connected to the beauty aspect of expressionism, because, although we saw a lot of heavy duty and disturbing stuff yesterday, there is a beauty to all of it, even if that beauty is unconventional and twisted. But that is the fun of expressionism, and art in general, I think, is confounding the sense of beauty without loosing the sense of beauty.